History | iinfo TZANEEN
Opened in 2012, the Soweto Theatre is by far the most striking piece of architecture in Soweto, if not in all of Johannesburg. Looming above the busy Jabulani township, the building consists of three huge, primary coloured cubes that look like a giant’s building blocks. Each cube — one red, one blue, and one yellow — contains a separate “black box” performance venue inside the theatre.
Regina Mundi Church — Regina Mundi means “Queen of the World” in Latin — was built in 1964 and is the largest Roman Catholic Church in South Africa. The church has 2,000 seats and can accommodate up to 5,000 people in total.
Regina Mundi looks rather unobtrusive from the outside, despite its considerable size. But inside, the church’s history is palpable. Rows and rows of simple wooden pews sit beneath a wide triangular roof and a large but simple crucifix hangs in the pulpit.
Around this time Lithuanian Jews who were looking for new economic opportunities, started to arrive in Oudtshoorn to take part in the ostrich boom. They opened businesses, trading in the valuable commodity and good relations were established between the Afrikaans speaking farmers and the Jewish immigrants.
Polokwane is the capitol of the Limpopo Province and the largest urban centre north of Gauteng. In the 1840’s Voortrekkers under the leadership of Andries Potgieter established Zoutpansbergdorp.
A town 100km to the North West. This settlement was abandoned because of clashes with the local tribes. They then founded a new town in 1886 and it Pietersburg, in honour of Petrus Jacobus Joubert, a Voortrekker leader. The British also built a concentration camp at Pietersburg during the Boer War that housed almost 4000 Boer women and children.